Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Roy Willey
1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law, Civil Litigation, Small Claims and Personal Injury for South Carolina on
Q: I and my dog were detained by law enforcement in a hot car. Despite my pleas to please let us out or to give my dog

Water or to let me turn on my car to provide AC for my dog, the policemen would not let me do anything to help my dog despite me pleading with them. My dog died of heat stroke. Can I hold those policemen responsible for Bear's death? I may be reached at:

Roy Willey
Roy Willey
answered on Jun 7, 2022

I am so sorry that happened to you. As to a case, potentially, yes but generally in South Carolina pets are only reimbursed at “market value” as property. However, you may also have a case against them depending on the nature of your detention. Be advised state agencies are subject to a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for South Carolina on
Q: I was charged with this violation, while entering a median we’re the immediate cars yielded to me but getting hit..

I was charged with this violation ( 56-05-2350) , while entering a median we’re the immediate cars yielded to me but getting hit by a car evading traffic and riding the median where no left turn could be immediately made. Would the other car not have been violating code ( 56-5-1920)

Roy Willey
Roy Willey
answered on May 21, 2022

Yes, it’s possible but it’s just a judgment call for the police. The charge itself won’t be admissible in your civil car accident case, only guilty pleas are generally.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Car Accidents for South Carolina on
Q: Had a motorcycle accident last August because the s.c. state's grass cutters left grass in the road.

My left leg, half under my kneecap. Had two surgeries. The state trooper was at the accident did not order for a drug test. But the hospital did one anyway. I even have officer video from his desk cam, pointed down to the grass in the road and his report it says cause of accident waa the grass.... Read more »

Roy Willey
Roy Willey
answered on Apr 25, 2022

In general there are several issues with hospital tests that may make them inadmissible in a civil suit. However, they may also be admissible. I would be glad to take a look at your information, just email me

1 Answer | Asked in Health Care Law and Medical Malpractice for South Carolina on
Q: I believe my mother is being neglected in a physical rehab hospital. Is it legal to record her overnight?

My Mother's medical proxy gave their permission. They have no signs prohibiting camera usage. They also have had many patient complaints about staff members. What can I do?

Roy Willey
Roy Willey
answered on Apr 4, 2022

There is nothing prohibiting that if your mother agrees.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law, Family Law and Personal Injury for South Carolina on
Q: I've been trying to get through the accusations of taking a firearm or stealing from a member of the family....

At the time of question I was at my father's residence for a period of maybe 4-6 days continuously due to personal relationship issues and differences. My dad's cousin came over daily and intoxicated heavily. He left residence and later on accused me of stealing his gun after he had left... Read more »

Roy Willey
Roy Willey
answered on Jan 1, 2022

It is unclear what type of help you are looking for here based on the topics selected. However, one option that you might consider is filing a police report if you are being followed, harassed, or repeatedly contacted after asking for it to stop. No one should have their mental health damaged... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for South Carolina on
Q: How can I find out if a lawsuit was filed against someone?

Trying to confirm if civil suit was filed against an individual.

Roy Willey
Roy Willey
answered on Jan 1, 2022

It depends on whether or not you know the case would have been filed in state court in South Carolina or Federal Court. Typically, if it is a simple negligence case and all parties live in South Carolina the case would be filed in state court and could be found here by county... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.