Fremont, OH asked in Elder Law for Ohio

Q: Can a nursing home kick out out if you have been making payments?

My father was placed into a nursing home because we could no longer care for him at home medically. He received a discharge letter from the current nursing home saying they were discharging him because of non payment even though they have been making payments since he arrived there. They currently have not said where they are discharging him too. We can not care for him at home. Can they discharge him if they have been making payments, my parents are also looking into medicaid.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Moshe Toron Esq
Moshe Toron Esq
  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You have the right to challenge the discharge by filing an appeal with the Ohio Department of Health. It sounds like they have no proper grounds to discharge him. If you file the appeal within 10 days, then the nursing home must wait for the appeal to be decided before they do anything.

Also, either way, he must be discharged to a safe place. If you say that you can't take care of him, then they can't send him home to you. They must find him a safe place.

Also, the discharge notice is faulty if they don't name a place where he would be moved.

You should appeal it.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.