Cleveland, TN asked in Family Law and Child Support for Puerto Rico

Q: Child support - Child got in trouble with the law (drugs related) Child was thrown in jail from age 17. This voids CS?

Child was selling drugs, etc. He was caught and prosecuted for different offenses. If in jail, how does this work with child support?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
  • Carolina, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Hello and thank you for using JUSTIA. The child is still a minor and has a legal right to receive child support Even if he is in jail. The differences now is that said child support payments will be maid to the party whom has his custody thus the Juveniles Corrections Department in the child's name to cover his needs while incarcerated. You will need to file a Motion to the Court to change the support payments and possibly reduce the amount to be paid since his expenses have changed due to his incarceration. Depending of the length of his Sentence, you may be able to reduce the amount of child support payments to be made monthly.

You need to discuss this matter with an Attorney before you file any Motion to decide what is the best course to take and how you proceed.

If you require additional information feel free to contact me directly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.