New Bern, NC asked in Estate Planning for North Carolina

Q: I have a piece of land that was inherited from my father and he inherited it from his father. I have searched for a deed

but couldn't find one. I was told there wasn't a deed that it has been past down without a deed. I have been paying taxes on this piece of property for years. I want to have it put in my name, because there are things i want to have done and i can't do it because my hands are tied. I have to have signatures from all heirs before having it done.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Evan Lohr
Charles Evan Lohr
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: If an estate was opened at the courthouse for your father and his father, then the estate file(s) would indicate how title to the land passed. If estates weren’t opened for either, then you would need to do that to obtain clear title. There are also a couple other options you may have.

Evan Lohr



1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.