Tiverton, RI asked in Child Support for Rhode Island

Q: Should child support increase if my ex is not seeing our daughter on the agreed terms of the court?

He is supposed to have her every other weekend but never has since we have been divorced for over 3 years. She is with me full time.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: Child support is calculated according to current guidelines using the combined gross incomes of the parents. Non custodial parents have a right to see their children but they have an obligation to pay child support. I have not seen any case of an increase for child support for reduced parenting time. HOWEVER, if you are incurring day care costs or other necessary expenses for the benefit of your minor child, you may be entitled to some additional consideration. Meet with your attorney to review the guidelines and draft an estimate. If there has been a change in your income, and/or the income of the father, it may be worth a visit to the court to modify the order.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.