Tampa, FL asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Florida

Q: Someone is making false accusations of a “physical argument “, telling me I WILL be sent to jail .What to do next ?

Recently got into a verbal dispute with my partners ex wife .

A few hours after this altercation a received a call from a cop .

He asked me for my side of the story , then he proceeded to tell that everything was okay and I was in no risk of getting arrested at that moment .

Two days have passed by and her family is making false accusations that I got “Physical” with her .

Threatening me that I WILL go to jail .

What steps can I take to make sure that I am safe.

Both from harrasment and legally too .

2 Lawyer Answers
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Do as much as you can to document the situation. Write down everything that has happened. Gather names of witnesses if any. Follow up with the police officer who called and tell them about the threats. Under no circumstances should you contact the person who you had the altercation with. Finally, set up a consultation with a local attorney to discuss this.

Heather Lee Mayer
Heather Lee Mayer
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: I would suggest that you set up a formal interview with the officer that has been in touch with you and have an attorney present on your behalf when you make your statement. If you come off as truthful during your interview, you should not have anything to worry about, despite what your ex partner's new wife's family may be staying. However, as always, all situations are extremely fact specific.

If you would like to set a consult with my office, please feel free to reach out at (904) 330-0289.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.