Minot, ND asked in Criminal Law for North Dakota

Q: How do I answer"Have you ever been convicted of a felony?" if my record is sealed, but shows up on checks?

I plead guilty on a charge because I was told that the record would be sealed after two years of probation. I should have fought it, but it was cheaper and easier to plead than to fight it. I found out later I stay in the system on background checks. My state has a clause that says if I go 5 years without committing a crime I get my rights back and I should be treated like I never committed a crime. I think that is what is showing up on the background checks. It has been almost seven years. What should I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • St. Louis Park, MN
  • Licensed in North Dakota

A: North Dakota does not say "five years and we treat it like it never happened." Instead, North Dakota has a period in which you can petition to seal your record. If you received a deferred imposition of sentence (which would seal it after probation) and it was never sealed, then petition the court to seal the record.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.