Corona, CA asked in Contracts, Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Tax Law for California

Q: How do I find out about a property that's been transferred to my mom's name?

I just found out that my grandmother had dementia and can't remember much. I recently learned that my grandma had put her house in my mom's name. Her son Ronnie (my sperm donor), his girlfriend and my uncle Tim are all living under her roof and haven't taken her to a hospital in fear of losing their house. Im sick to my stomach to think of the selfishness, anyways how can I find out more information about this property? I have the ownership transfer document number and tax ID

2 Lawyer Answers
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN
  • Licensed in California

A: You can go to the local county recorder's office and look up the deed and obtain a copy by paying a copy fee per page. If you are unable to do that, you can hire almost any real estate paralegal or attorney to obtain a copy for you. Some real estate agents have the ability to do this as well. All title companies have the ability to do this. Finally, there are online services you can use to pull copies of deeds for a fee. Some are subscription-based, so that would not work well when you only want one deed. Some charge by the document or by the page.

Paul Martin Vargas
Paul Martin Vargas
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Hermosa Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Hi. You can check with your County Recorder's office to request/download all documents. There are also online real property document retrieval services that you can order the docs through and they are downloadable immediately. And, I would check your county assessor to see the tax and assessment history. I hope this helps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.