Lake Worth, FL asked in Child Support and Collections for Florida

Q: My father rarely paid support when I was a child. I am now 36 yrs old and he received a collection letter from NY.

Money due to my mom. Can I give up my rights to this money or my mom has to give up her rights? My father doesn't have any money. The letter threatens the loss of his license, passport or jail time. I now live in Florida and my father lives in AZ.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: The sate collection effort does not involve you; why? Because Florida is collecting old support due to your mother, not to you. However, it may be possible for your mother to intercede and tell the Florida Department of Revenue that she no longer wants Florida to prosecute your father; and tell them exactly why too.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.