Largo, FL asked in Estate Planning, Civil Litigation, Elder Law and Probate for Florida

Q: How do I answer summons in TN, when I'm in FL. Civil to force sale of my inheritance, gma's house. No notice of probate.

I'm supposed to appear in Hamilton County Civil court to defend against split of property by sale. Relatives lied to me, never had POA, spent Gma's money. I'm broke. My dad died 9 days before Gma. I got severely depressed, overwhelmed. Tried to get atty's to help, but over the last year 2 agreed, then backed out, Last 5 said not enough time. Just found out they are spending Gma's money and they hid or destroyed Gma's will. I have money coming from dads 2017 IRS filing, but been waiting since June 2019. Got served for sale of house 9/10/2019, anniv of dads death, Gma's estate is worth $250k. Dad's will talks about Gma's new will and it going to me. Couldn't go to TN when dad was alive, IRMA, dad stroke, homeless. I want to delay or stop sale of home. Clifford, greedy uncle, Quit Claim deeded half house to himself w/o my sig.

What can I do at this late date. Nothing came together. been working on this over the past year. And what about the money in her account. Gma > Dad > me.

1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: The ONLY way you can do anything to protect yourself is to go to the hearing and tell the judge everything you told us here.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.