Washington, DC asked in Contracts for District of Columbia

Q: is there case law that supports reducing attorney's fees based on lost counts of a summary judgment?

Example: Defendant motions for summary judgment for 3 counts (fraud, breach of k, and negligence)after 1 year of litigation.The court rules in defendants favor for 2 of the 3 counts, ultimately after 1 more year of litigation the court finds for the Plaintiff on the remaining count and they award attorneys fees to the Plaintiff. Is there case law to support reducing the plaintiffs attorney's fees by 66.7% in the first year of the case?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in District of Columbia

A: No, but the amount of fees must be reasonable, and an argument can be made that the time and billing associated with the lost counts were not reasonable since the claims were rejected; therefore, some adjustment is appropriate. In the end, the amount of fees are left to the “sound judgment “ of the judge.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.