Fayetteville, NC asked in Criminal Law and Civil Litigation for South Carolina

Q: Can a victim's family, after trial, and a guilty verdict, petition a court for a time/sentence reduction for an inmate?

My Brother was convicted of murder in 1995. Since then, the victim's family has written the judge and solicitors office to have his sentence reduced or pardoned. Can or do the victim's family have this authority since the solicitor is their attorney? Letter of forgiveness was sent in to the court afew months ago from the victim's family. Do my brother have any chance of a sentence reduction, especially when the clerk of court sent a copy of the letter back to the victim's family staying that he must send a copy to the South Carolina Dept. Of Probation, Pardon, and Parole..

1 Lawyer Answer
Ryan D Templeton
Ryan D Templeton
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Summerville, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: As a former state prosecutor I have never heard of a sentence reduction based on the request of the victim through the court system. Your best bet would be for the victim to contact the department of probation parol and pardons to request a pardon from the governor.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.