Chicago, IL asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Massachusetts

Q: Is the executor required to notify beneficiaries of what is happening with the estate?

My father passed away 3/2018, and the executor of my dad's estate is my estranged sister. So far, instead of contacting her, I have called the law office for the case to get updates. But for several months now, it appears that my sister has instructed them to not even answer the phone when I call. I have no idea if the estate will be settled next week or next year. No idea how far along it is.

What legal rights do I have to get updated about the progress of settling the estate?

Update: I got an answer saying "hire a lawyer to look into it". I can't afford to and honestly...that doesn't answer my question. Is the executor *required* to notify beneficiaries about the progress of settling the estate? Do I have any legal right to that information? Or is making that request just asking them to do me a favor?

Update on the update. Thank you for responding on what I should try. Still wondering: is she *legally required* to give me this information?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: Hire a local probate attorney to look at the file for you and bring you up to date. The attorney can also file for you a request to receive notice of proceedings.

Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: If your sister is not ageing to have her counsel respond to you, you can either try contacting her directly yourself or engage counsel on your own behalf to seek information as to the expected distribution and timing. It may be that there are no problems and you will learn that you will be receiving your share soon- or if there are issues the attorney can inform you about their significance and effect on the estate and your distribution.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.