Marietta, OH asked in Criminal Law for Ohio

Q: I have never been in trouble I have a clean record but now I'm being charge with 2921.31. What kind of sentence is it

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brian Smith
Brian Smith
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Rocky River, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Revised Code 2921.31 refers to "Obstructing Official Business.". This is typically a second degree misdemeanor, which carries a penalty of up to 90 days on jail and up to a $750.00 fine.

If the violation created a risk of physical harm to another person, it can be charged instead as a fifth degree felony that carries penalties of up to twelve months on prison and up to a $2,500.00 fine.

These are the maximum penalties. You might be sentenced to something much less. An experienced criminal defense attorney might be able to get the charges reduced or dismissed while minimizing any penalties.

Leslie Albeit and Dimitrios Makridis agree with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.