Asked in Probate for South Dakota

Q: Are there separate probates for dual citizens?

My father was born in Norway. He later moved to the South Dakota and acquired dual citizenship. He died in South Dakota in 2012. His probate has been finalized since then. Not sure how or if that correlates with Norway? We have a mess to deal with as he still has we found out he still has real estate under his name in Norway. Please answer as soon as you can. I also have a separate question (submitted two weeks ago) that has not been answered yet that is also related with probate.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: A probate needs to be opened in every jurisdiction in which the decedent owned property. The jurisdiction where the decedent lived just before he passed away is the main probate and the others are called ancillary probate. That is one reason why trust based estate planning is superior to Will based a state planning because it avoid probate altogether

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.