Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

South Dakota Probate Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for South Dakota on

Q: My fiance father died without a will a spouse we can't contact and a pending lawsuit

He is his only surviving son and has been cooperating with the attorneys whom contacted him about the lawsuit and has done everything the attorneys has asked him to do the lawyers need medical records what can my husband do to get control of his father's estate we live in new Mexico

Nina Whitehurst answered on Sep 13, 2019

Hire a probate attorney where his father lived.

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for South Dakota on

Q: Dan has 28yr old son with diff person other than w/ his spouse Jan with their 2 minor children. No will. Who inherits?

Dan has a business. Does the 28 year have any right to it?

Kenneth V Zichi answered on Aug 1, 2017

All of the above potentially. It depends on how much value there is in Probate and who else might be owed money.

The laws of intestacy in the state where "Dan" lived will govern, and most states provide spouse and minor children are first in line, but if there are LEGAL children who are...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.