Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
South Dakota Probate Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Probate for South Dakota on
Q: I lived with my boyfriend for 10 years. He died in July. Can his father take all his belongings from me?
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Nov 9, 2021

Unless your boyfriend had a will leaving his estate to you, it goes to his next of kin. This is why it is SO important for a single person to have an estate plan.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Probate for South Dakota on
Q: What is the legal way to replace a trustee of an irrecoverable trust after the former trustee has passed
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Feb 10, 2021

When an initial trustee passes, the successor trustee who is next in line automatically succeeds to the role. If there is no successor trustee, then look to see if the trust has a trust protector who can appoint someone to fill the role. Or sometimes the trust allows the income beneficiaries or... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Probate for South Dakota on
Q: Our Seller died 5 days before closing. No children, no will, only a brother and step brother. How can we Close?

We found out 3 days prior to closing that she passed that last Sunday. What are our next steps to being able to close on our new house? No children on her side and no husband either. Thank you

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Jan 11, 2021

You will need to make a claim against the estate to complete the contract. If nobody opens a probate in a timely fashion, you can hire an attorney to open one yourself. You should talk to a probate attorney right away as this all takes some time and will, unfortunately, delay your closing, so the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Probate for South Dakota on
Q: I’m on felony probation an this last year my dad committed sucide an I lost it my mind didn’t show up for po meeting an

She put warrants out for my original charges if I explain to judge what happen is it possible not to go to prison on a motion to revoke

Mark Ryan Thiessen
Mark Ryan Thiessen answered on Jan 6, 2020

You can't get the warrant withdrawn all by yourself. Call you attorney and approach in court with him to explain yourself. Expect to be drug and alcohol tested, so be clean. Also bring a death certificate and maybe the funeral information for the Judge. Sorry for your loss.

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for South Dakota on
Q: Are there separate probates for dual citizens?

My father was born in Norway. He later moved to the South Dakota and acquired dual citizenship. He died in South Dakota in 2012. His probate has been finalized since then. Not sure how or if that correlates with Norway? We have a mess to deal with as he still has we found out he still has real... Read more »

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Oct 11, 2019

A probate needs to be opened in every jurisdiction in which the decedent owned property. The jurisdiction where the decedent lived just before he passed away is the main probate and the others are called ancillary probate. That is one reason why trust based estate planning is superior to Will based... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for South Dakota on
Q: My fiance father died without a will a spouse we can't contact and a pending lawsuit

He is his only surviving son and has been cooperating with the attorneys whom contacted him about the lawsuit and has done everything the attorneys has asked him to do the lawyers need medical records what can my husband do to get control of his father's estate we live in new Mexico

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Sep 13, 2019

Hire a probate attorney where his father lived.

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for South Dakota on
Q: Dan has 28yr old son with diff person other than w/ his spouse Jan with their 2 minor children. No will. Who inherits?

Dan has a business. Does the 28 year have any right to it?

Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi answered on Aug 1, 2017

All of the above potentially. It depends on how much value there is in Probate and who else might be owed money.

The laws of intestacy in the state where "Dan" lived will govern, and most states provide spouse and minor children are first in line, but if there are LEGAL children...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.