Littleton, CO asked in Animal / Dog Law, Civil Rights and Landlord - Tenant for Colorado

Q: I live in Colorado and I rent an apartment/condo. My neighbor threatened to kill my dog, what legal action can I take?

I have reported this to my subdivision leasing office. Then it happened again today so I called the main leasing office and they advised me to call the police. The police came and spoke with me, then spoke with the neighbor. He admitted to saying he would kill my dog but claimed he didn't say it again today, even though he did.

Now, to make this all worse, they called the cops claiming I did something (not sure what the claim is as the police didn't tell me) which I didn't. I have record of my calls and emails to the leasing office and my police report and initial call. I also have a voicemail from the original officer stating that the man admitted to threatening to kill my dog.

The cops are saying nothing can be done but I don't feel safe living here at this point. What can I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Kristina M. Bergsten
Kristina M. Bergsten
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Media, PA
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: If you do not feel safe, then your best option might be to break your lease and move. If the threats continue or escalate, you might also be entitled to a restraining/protection order, but that all depends on whether or not the cops will press charges.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.