Durham, NC asked in Child Custody for North Carolina

Q: Hi. I have a friend, a 21 yr old single mother being tricked in family court and needs an atty pro bono if possible.

She has 2 kids and has been trying to handle a messy visitation agreement on her own. Shes being tricked by her babys fathers lawyer into signing things. She has a court date set for the end of this month and no representation as she cant afford to hire one. Shes scared shes going to lose her kids. One shes not being able to see at all. Im desperately trying to find her representation. I will do what i can to help her.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Melissa Averett
Melissa Averett
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Chapel Hill, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Raise money for her to hire an attorney. Do a fundraiser, post on GoFundMe, try Facebook donations, but trying to find a pro bono attorney is pretty much a non-starter. But you might be able to convince an attorney to take it on a flat fee of 2500 to 5000. Practicing law is an extremely competitive, and very expensive business, and most of us end up doing pro bono work because our clients can't pay us after we're already involved in the case. Another option is to find an attorney that will do what we call litigation assistance. That's a situation where she pays as she goes, meeting with the attorney before every hearing to prepare for the hearing, and to review any settlement offers And draft a counter offer. So she only pays for the attorney's time when she's in the attorney's office. the attorney does not go to court with her. But I think she would be better off if she can find an attorney that will take custody cases for a flat fee. That's usually going to be a brand new attorney since it's not a cost-effective way of practicing law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.