Tampa, FL asked in Child Support for Florida

Q: What will my child support be after my oldest child turns 18 and graduates high school?

I currently pay child support in the amount of $500 per month to my ex-wife for my two children (we have 50/50 custody but I have a higher income). The agreement says my obligation shall continue for each child until that child turns 18 (unless still in high school...then it lasts through school). It then says "The husband shall pay child support to the Wife for the remaining dependent child in an amount to be calculated pursuant to statutory guidelines." How do we figure out what that is supposed to be?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You can search online for a free florida child support calculator. It will require each of your current net incomes and health insurance costs for each parent and the remaining child. You can then calculate the child support for one child instead of two.

B. Elaine Jones
B. Elaine Jones

A: Both parties will have to exchange financial affidavits and do the guideline calculation. It is based on net income. There are some free child support calculators online. If you have problems, consult with a family law attorney. Most Justia attorneys offer a free initial consultation. Good luck.


B. Elaine Jones, Esq.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.