Seattle, WA asked in Criminal Law for Washington

Q: What do the points mean in the legal system. My son has 3 but on paper it says 6

Why was he give 12 year for first time offender?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stan Glisson
Stan Glisson
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Port Orchard, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: For felony crimes, the standard sentence range (where the judge is expected to sentence) is established by the number of "points" the defendant has. For example, any prior felony conviction generally counts as a point, and increased the standard sentence range. There are other factors in an individual case that can result in points being added to the score, including the current charges.

Calculation of points is sometimes complicated. A lawyer would have to look at your son's specific history to calculate his "score" for sentencing. And it sometimes happens that two lawyers look at the same history and don't immediately agree on what the score is.

So to answer your question a lawyer would have to review your son's individual case, it can't be answered without that information.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.