Blythewood, SC asked in Estate Planning for North Carolina

Q: my sister in law was killed in an auto accident last November . she did not leave a will so do I have to put her estate?

I told her surviving son to put it in when she was killed and just found out he didn't . She has a surviving daughter in coloroda but she is no help.she also had custody of said daughters 2 kids when she died.Son and girlfriend have spent all monies involded and im not sure what kind of mis going on but son and girlfriend have continued to live in residence since her death. I live in SC and need to know what steps I need to take.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: You can hire a probate attorney in NC to help you probate her estate if her children are not taking any steps in that direction. You would petition the court to appoint you as executor. The attorney’s and executor’s fees are paid out of the estate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.