Succasunna, NJ asked in Civil Litigation, Consumer Law and Contracts for New Jersey

Q: Someone forged a contract to get money out of me over a No Further Action Letter. Can I sue this contractor?

I had a cash buyer for my home. The oil tank was lifted. I was there when it was lifted. I did not sign a change order for any additional work, or remediation. I am a Property Manager and would bid it out for the best contractor if the work truly needed to be done. I believe this guy was a fraud and he had no PID meter to show me the soil contamination reading. This contractor forged my signature to get more money out of me. This fact was confirmed by my closing attorney. I let the house foreclose and want to sue over the loss of the equity in my home. The contractor knew there was equity in the home and was lookig to take what he could. He has never even sent me a bill and he has not bothered to come after me for money because he knows he commited fraud. Can any attorney help get the process started on this?

This has nothing to do with the foreclosure. Someone responded about doing a BK. Not at all the way I am going with this. The lender got 100% of their money.

1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer
  • Clifton, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Although you can sue the contractor, this will not be cost effective. Since the house was foreclosed on, you will need to file a Bankruptcy in order to avoid liability for the deficiency judgment when the property is sold at sheriff sale. Even if you win against the contractor, the Chapter 7 Trustee will almost certainly require the money you recover to be part of your estate in Bankruptcy.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.