Pleasant Garden, NC asked in Family Law and Child Support for North Carolina

Q: I had. Child Support Court yesterday, 10/28/2019. It was my second court date. The first court date I managed to get it.

I managed to get it continued, but was supposed to pay $200 that day. Which because I’m out of work was told by a friend prior he could loan it to me. Well that never happened being something came up with him. I’ve never been in arrears, has been paid on time for 12 years. I worked for my father in a family ran business for 26 years. Due to his and my mother’s passing in 2017. Their estate attorney closed and sold the business, putting me out of work June of 2018. I’ve managed to keep it up until 2019 which I’m behind a bit over $5800.00. I am paying $1100.00 a month. Again because I’m looking work, and have started the process with a new company and because I have bills to pay I had no money to carry to court. When I woke up yesterday morning, I was nervous of her putting me in jail, somewhere I’ve never been nor care to I didn’t go. What is going to happen? What should I do? Thank you,


Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Houser
Amanda Bowden Houser
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: You should pay your child support obligation. You indicated in your question that you had money to pay other bills. Well guess what - that money should have went to child support as that is your most important bill.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.