Lexington, SC asked in Divorce and Family Law for South Carolina

Q: I am separated from my wife due to her wanting out of the marriage. What rights does she have to take kids when she says

She was starting a relationship outside the marriage and after an arguement she left and has been staying at her Dad's house. We tried to work things out between us and it didnt work. Now she tells me she wants nothing do do with me and that she wants to get her kids when she wants and that I have to find a go between when she wants to visit. Is she able to do that, to tell me I have to find someone for her do get the kids from besides me? Also when she last came to pick the kids up we argued and I asked her to get out. She stated that it's still my house to. Is that correct?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ryan D Templeton
Ryan D Templeton
  • Summerville, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: I would recommend contacting a local attorney so that you can get a family court order in place laying out the rights between you. The sooner that you do this they smoother the process will go because until there is a family court order in place she still can come to the house and has full rights to the children as well.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.