Warwick, RI asked in Child Custody for Rhode Island

Q: my granddaughter lives in Massachusetts I live in Rhode Island I had custody of my granddaughter when she was young her

her dad my son passed away he lived with us as well she now lives with mom and is very unhappy and wants to live with me and my husband.She has been telling me things an 11 year old should not deal with she is stressed if mom finds out she told someone what is going on.She makes her lie to guidance councilors in school and to make matters worse she finally confided in a councilor at school last year about an incident and begged her not to tell mom and the councilor did and she was grounded for it. She grounds her for every little thing insignificant things. How do I get custody back she doesn’t even want to go home and if we bring this to someone’s attention she petrified she will have to go back and will live an even worse hell than she’s living now. What do I do I tried to get her to go to the school guidance counselor she is now in middle school a different school but I’m afraid the same will happen and then mom will keep her from me and she is afraid of this as well. Please help!!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: Meet with and retain an attorney to help you best present your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.