Tampa, FL asked in Civil Litigation for Florida

Q: I dont know which form to file to sue someone in small claims court for the title to my car

The person in question is refusing to meet me so that we can make the exchange of her tags for my title

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Your question is a real mystery. Why would you be conveying to someone your car title in exchange for her giving you her car tags (and that's tags plural?)?? It's not legal to use someone else's tag.

But if I'm missing something, and you are seeking relief that you are legally entitled to, your local Clerk of Court likely has on-line forms, and if not, or you don't understand the forms, go in person to the Clerk's office, at any of their branch courts. Small claims court has jurisdiction when the property in question is worth $5,000 or less.

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You might want to keep a legible copy of the buy/sell agreement between you and the owner of the car you are driving--because the police will want you to prove you did not steal the car.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.