Kannapolis, NC asked in Child Custody for North Carolina

Q: If you found out you had a kid 9 years later not on birth certificate are you responsible for all 9 yr of child support

No one is on the birth certificate but the mom but she was married at the time

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Adam Bull
Adam Bull
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Asheville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: potentially. If she was married at the time there is a presumption that her husband is the father which may give you some protection. At the same time you have a duty to make reasonable follow up on your actions to see if there was a child born. You also may be subject to action from the husband as it is now established you were intimate with his wife during marriage, although this may depend on whether they were together or separated and whether the statute of limitations has expired.

You also have potential claims for custody and or visitation, but would be responsible for child support from this point forward. Has husband acknowledged the child in any prior court orders? if so the issue may be moot.

Contact a family law attorney to assess your matter further.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.