Riverview, FL asked in Family Law and Child Support for Florida

Q: Can my ex request DOR to step in for no reason?

We have a court ordered child support. It comes directly out of my check. Until that was active I was writing her checks for the same amount. Not behind, and never missed. Now she requested DOR to step in and "enforce" it and Im hearing that since I am in arrears they will now intercept my tax returns? The prior set-up was through the courts and I don't think that would have happened.

I think she did this just to get more money and stick it to me. Can she do that?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If you can please explain to me how you can say--in one breath--that you are "Not behind, and never missed" and then in the very next breath tell us that you are "now hearing that since I am in arrears" your ex wants to get DOR involved, I will have much more inclination to take up more of my valuable time to explain what is happening to you, and exactly why it is happening, and perhaps even advise you about possible ways to avoid the fate you are looking at. Deal?

1 user found this answer helpful

B. Elaine Jones
B. Elaine Jones

A: Yes she can do that. The recipient of child support has the option of requesting a Income Withholding Order and the Department of Revenue Child Support Enforcement will enforce this order. You should consider consulting and retaining a family law attorney to look at your situation. Most JUSTIA Attorneys offer a free initial consultation. Contact one of us today. Good luck.


B. Elaine Jones, Esq.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.