Mount Airy, NC asked in Child Support for North Carolina

Q: Parent is on LOA from work, not paying c. support wo any documented medical reason, Can I file a MSC?

Case is with CSA, but they refuse to file a MSC until she goes back to work and refuses to pay c. support. Parent had minor hip surgery back in Apr 2019. She is healed, no complications and 8 months later still refuses to go back to work. CSA filed a motion to reduce, but Parent did not provide subpoenaed information and did not show up fo 2 hearings, case was dismissed. Parent lives alone and has bills paid and went on an island vacation recently, but still hasn't paid c. support since March 2019. Do I have any options to make her pay support? Seems like she is getting the benefit of doubt since nothing is documented, except LOA.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Adam Bull
Adam Bull
  • Asheville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Sounds like CSEA is the problem. if she has stopped paying and there is no court order suspending her payments then she is in violation and there should be a show cause issued. you can hire a private attorney to pursue this. If you are the recipient CSEA cannot file a motion to reduce child support on her behalf, you are their client not her.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.