Rancho Cordova, CA asked in Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for California

Q: Insurance company revoked my contract after a small accident, what can i do? More details below.

I had a small car accident a few weeks after getting car insurance. When i did the claim my insurance decided to revoke my contract and cancel my policy. Therefore making it seem like i was uninsured. Me and the other driver agreed for me to pay half of her deductible ($250) to settle it. But now her insurance is sending me a bill of over $9,000 and with the Dmv trying to suspend my license for being supposedly uninsured. I reported this to the Department of Insurances but I'm still waiting for the final decision.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Insurance Claims Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: Without seeing your insurance company's correspondence, your application, accident documentation, one can only guess what is happening here. It might be that the other driver wanted to be nice and handle the matter as a first-party claim, after which her carrier's subrogation department got involved and went after you for the loss. One can only speculate what the Department of Insurance is going to come back to you with in terms of a decision. If your policy was in effect, it should have been in effect for the accident. It's up to you, but you should consider setting up a consult with a California attorney. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.