Castroville, TX asked in Criminal Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Texas

Q: Same thing, sorry needed to say one more thing

After the UA, I was ordered to enroll in a program I'd have to attend twice weekly, in addition to 2 NA meetings/wk. I was able to find a nearby NA group, which I've been attending. But the other program is 25 miles away from me, I no longer drive b/c of my illness, & the nearest bus-stop is 9 miles from where I live. I am very grateful for my freedom, it's precious to me & I'm willing to do whatever is necessary, but even after speaking with her supervisor et. Al., no one can tell me how I could reasonably get to this place. Even if I were ON the bus route, I'd be hopelessly lost. This has become a crisis. I don't blame my PO, I know it's my fault but I'm not sure if it's a case of civil rights ore just being an ineffectual loser. WTF to do. Thank you so much for your valuable time. I really respect that professional Attorneys do pro Bono work sometimes - it's noble. This world is seriously in need of a little more compassion & less "simply not caring because it isn't you"

1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Looney
Paul Looney
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You are clearly willing to work on your drug issue. It appears you are a Probation officer's most challenging case: a probationer in need of help who is trying to get the help, who cannot because of money! You can tell your PO that "back sliding" is the most prevalent issue facing people who are trying to do what the system requires to overcome drug issues. Tell the PO what you are facing ... give the PO a chance to resolve the problem. If it cannot be resolved that way, your lawyer has a continuing responsibility to you. Call your lawyer's office and set up a phone conference with the lawyer. Make the conference, and tell your lawyer everything you have shared here. Ask for help. You may just be able to have the lawyer make a suggestion that has worked in the past. The biggest barrier between probationers and the system is between Judges and Prosecutors and the people they agree to place on probation. For the most part these two want to help you ... probation success is system success, and these guys keep their jobs more readily with success rather than failure. If the PO cannot help, and the lawyer cannot find a unique way of resolving the problem, write a letter to your judge, and send a copy to your assistant district attorney. Make the first line: "This is not an attempt at ex parte communciation..." and then explain your situation and what you have done to try to resolve it. People going to these efforts have PROVEN they are SERIOUS about their freedom. People going to these efforts do not go to prison. I am extremely apologetic for miscalculating your situation and misinterpretting you as a person. If you have future questions, and you feel up to giving us another chance at helping you, email directly to Brent Liedtke, at, and I am sure Mr. Liedtke can either give his own advice or send the question on to me. Don't give up ... hang in ... we are going to pester these people into helping you ... Good luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.