Springfield, MA asked in Child Support for Rhode Island

Q: My ex owes me $39,981 in back child support (5 yrs of nonpayment) and we have been to court where he promised to pay but

hasn't (judge was QUITE Mad at him last court date). Now we have to go back again because he is being charged with contempt. He owns a business that he hides, his license and passport are suspended. His business truck is registered to our oldest. He also told our youngest he plans on moving to Gorgia this spring. Will I receive any of the back support? Will he be able to move? Will he be going to jail? What can I expect at this (family) court date?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: The best advice I can give you is to hire an attorney to assist you to navigate this process. The contempt process is often an effective way to get a parent to "step up" and fulfill their obligation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.