Sparta, NC asked in Civil Litigation, Family Law, Adoption and Child Support for Florida

Q: Need help with FL law in regards to child support termination via adoption. Father wants to sign over his rights.

Mother has full custody and is remarried. Father has already established paternity but lives in NH.

1 Lawyer Answer
Vanessa Alexandra Vasquez de Lara
Vanessa Alexandra Vasquez de Lara
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Miami, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If the Father is willing to consent to a step-parent adoption, then it is a relatively simple matter to have the child adopted by the step-father and the Father's rights terminated. If, on the other hand, the Father wishes to terminate his rights and leave the child fatherless, this is normally not considered in the child's best interest and will be a much more difficult proceeding.

Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.