Cincinnati, OH asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Ohio

Q: I want to adopt the child I have permanent Custody of but I don’t know how to start.

I have custody of a friend from high schools 2 children, she is on drugs and I couldn’t let them go into foster Care. I also have 1 child of my own who is 6. I got the first one when he was 4 months old, he is now 3 but has had a relationship with his mom the entire time, she gave birth again to another son and because I had the first child cps contacted me to take the new baby in, I of course agreed although I knew it was going to be difficult, the baby is now 16 months old, the mother and father haven’t had a relationship with him at all, they will call and ask to see the other child but not the new one, during visits they will say hi to baby but not hold him or interact with him like they do their other son. Mom agreed that baby is mine, that she is not bonded with him and she knows I am. She is willing to sign rights over but dad will not. I want to adopt baby so he can legally be mine but I’m not sure how to do it. especially since dad won’t sign his rights over voluntarily

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You might not be able to adopt, but you might be able to obtain guardianship. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to talk to a local attorney who specializes in adoptions to review all the facts and advise you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.