Peru, IL asked in Child Support and Family Law for Illinois

Q: What can be done if a mother is willfully keeping the child from their biological father since birth

She refuses to let the father be apart of the childs life at all or except gifts from the biological father. And she has been in several different relationships since child was born and has told the child to call each one daddy. But will not let the biological father be apart of the childs life.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
James G. Ahlberg
James G. Ahlberg
  • Rochelle, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: The father has to go to court to get an order granting him parenting time (formerly called visitation).

Marilyn  Johnson
Marilyn Johnson

A: The father needs to file a Petition to Determine the Existence of the Father and Child Relationship. The court will have to make a finding of paternity which may require a DNA test. After that the court will determine parenting time, parental responsibilities and child support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.