Fenton, MO asked in Appeals / Appellate Law and Native American Law for Colorado

Q: Appeal for reinstatement of parental rights was taken over by tribal court. What happens now?

My rights were terminated I appealed right away. My appeals lawyer found that the county terminated my rights without ICWA being informed. Lakota Sioux has found children eligible and now are taking over case. What's going to happen.

1 Lawyer Answer
Scott E Beemer
Scott E Beemer
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • Maricopa, AZ

A: Unfortunately. I cannot answer in accordance with ABA Ethics Rule 4.2:

In representing a client, a lawyer shall not communicate about the subject of the representation with a person the lawyer knows to be represented by another lawyer in the matter, unless the lawyer has the consent of the other lawyer or is authorized to do so by law or a court order.

Please inquire with your lawyer whom handled the Appeal as I am sure your question(s) will be answered.

I wish you well.



Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.