Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Native American Law legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Colorado Native American Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Native American Law and Banking for Colorado on
Q: Is there anyway I can fight a tribal loan that falsely advertised their APR?

I’m 23 years old and needed $600 dollars for some bills I had to pay. I’m barely scraping by how it is. Before this, I had never heard of tribal loans, didn’t even know they existed. I went through withu loans and before I signed the agreement, I was told my APR was 25%. After a couple month,... View More

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Oct 15, 2023

Certainly, it's distressing to hear about such a situation.

Tribal loans operate under the sovereign immunity of their respective tribes, which means they're not subject to state laws that regulate payday loans. This allows some of them to charge exorbitant interest rates....
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Native American Law for Colorado on
Q: Should I sell my interest

I have trust land and the tribes want to buy my interest and conveyance for something

Michael Joseph Larranaga
Michael Joseph Larranaga pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Oct 19, 2022


I think you need to get in touch with an attorney specializing in Indian law for your specific tribe. I used to work in oil and gas in a none legal capacity and know there are different levels of ownership within the tribe. I think it would depend if you are an owner, have a...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law and Native American Law for Colorado on
Q: Appeal for reinstatement of parental rights was taken over by tribal court. What happens now?

My rights were terminated I appealed right away. My appeals lawyer found that the county terminated my rights without ICWA being informed. Lakota Sioux has found children eligible and now are taking over case. What's going to happen.

Scott E Beemer
Scott E Beemer
answered on Nov 24, 2019

Unfortunately. I cannot answer in accordance with ABA Ethics Rule 4.2:

In representing a client, a lawyer shall not communicate about the subject of the representation with a person the lawyer knows to be represented by another lawyer in the matter, unless the lawyer has the consent of the...
View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.