Opelika, AL asked in Real Estate Law and Small Claims for Alabama

Q: My grandma died and my wife and I have been living I her house for 7 years and now my dad is trying to kick us out

Can he put the house in his name

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Amanda B Cook
Amanda B Cook
  • Montgomery, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: That depends on a lot of different facts. Did your grandmother leave a Will? Is your father her only heir? I strongly recommend that you seek the advice of an experienced attorney.

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: You need to perform a title search to see who owns the real property. The Father may, or may not be the owner, and entitled to possession.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.