Waterford, MI asked in Criminal Law and Traffic Tickets for Michigan

Q: If a cop gets behind you and doesn't flick his lights and you park and walk away is that a crime even with bad plates?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Bredow
Mark Bredow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Bloomfield Hills, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: The crime appears to be that you were driving a car without proper registration. If the officer was following procedure, he ran the plate through his computer and the crime would be obvious. The officer could not have known about the lack of insurance. The offer need not turn on his lights for there to be a valid crime. And your abandonment of the vehicle does not erase the crime either. An officer may search an automobile after am arrest or if he is going to tow the vehicle.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.