San Bernardino, CA asked in Civil Litigation and Collections for California

Q: how to collect judgement against my former employer

I received a default judgement against my former employer which came after they defaulted on an agreement we had as a result of our meeting with the Labor Board. What are my next steps and how likely am I to collect on this? really.

Am I better off trying to sell off my judgement

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Neil Pedersen
Neil Pedersen
  • Westminster, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Unfortunately, procuring a judgment is just the first step in getting paid. You now have to take affirmative measures to force the former employer to pay you the money. This can be costly and time-consuming, and many people get judgments that are never paid.

It is impossible for anyone here to tell you if you have a reasonable chance of collecting your money without knowing far more about your former employer. The fact that they allowed the judgment to be taken without a fight could suggest the employer has already taken measures to make it impossible to get its money. Your best move is to take your judgment to a collections attorney to see if they believe collection is possible. Only someone familiar with collections and with your particular former employer can give you the answer you seek.

If the amount of the judgment is too small to get a collections attorney involved, your options are going to be severely limited.

Good luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.