San Antonio, TX asked in Child Support for Puerto Rico

Q: i live in Puerto Rico and owe child support in michigan will michigan have me extradited from Puerto Rico ?

if it's a felony child support warrant

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
  • Carolina, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Hello and thank you for using JUSTIA. A felony warrent can be executed in Puerto Rico if Michigan files a request thus in theory yes you can be extradited. Your best bet is to hire an Attorney in Michigan and have the case cleared up. You may be able to set up a payment plan and avoid extradiction.

1 user found this answer helpful

Jose M. Rivera Santos
Jose M. Rivera Santos PRO label
  • Ponce, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: A court may and can order a warrant for you arrest because of an outstanding child support debt. This warrant can be executed in any of the 50 states or US territories. There are internet services and search engines where you can check if there's a warrant for your arrest in the state of Michigan. The best approach is to negotiate a payment plan with the Michigan child Support agency through and attorney from that state. You can also seek information through their website to check your options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.