Corinth, MS asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Mississippi

Q: Me and the mother of our 3 kids are separating after 12 years. What all should i expect from the court process?

I make 660 a week. I bring home 411 out of that. We are currently 24k in debt (all in my name). I pay her car note 250 dollars and provide healthcare for the kids somewhat 290 a month a believe. We were not married. She left me for another man. I am completely ignorant about how this will go legally.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon
  • Cleveland, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: More than likely, she will initiate legal proceedings against you for custody over the three children, as well as request child support. Assuming that she got custody, your child support obligation would be a certain percentage of your adjusted gross income. I would highly recommend that you contact a family lawyer to get more detail as to the process, as well as to advise you as to a plan of action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.