Flemington, NJ asked in Family Law for New Jersey

Q: my ex wife has a lien on my house. The house got sold at Sheriff's sale. Now she wants her money PLUS interest. Yes/No

In 2010 I signed a consent decree giving my ex a lien on my house in lieu of back alimony I owed her ($ 80,000).

My house was sold at Sheriff's sale last November the proceeds being held by the Superior Court in Trenton. My ex has recently filed a motion for payment of the lien, 80 K, PLUS claiming interest of 19 K from 2010 till now. My question is, is she entitled to the interest ?

Thanks: Gordon D., Flemington, NJ

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Justin M. Gillman
Justin M. Gillman
  • Edison, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: First, if a judgment was entered, there is an applicable rate of New Jersey Judgment interest. This does not typically apply to judgments out of the family court but the facts you present are not clear. As a junior lien holder, she has a right to seek to collect from any surplus funds being held by the Court. I think you would need to review the original documents that you signed in 2010 to determine if interest was collectible.

Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Clifton, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Your situation is going to require an in person consultation and a document review to determine how to best proceed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.