Hyattsville, MD asked in Banking for Maryland

Q: Can I prosecute check forgery with only a xerox of the forged check ? The bank destroys original checks.

The College Park post office's outside mailbox was broken into, and 4 of my checks were among the stolen letters. Using a stolen check, a person "doctored" all the original information on it so that the check was made payable to him for the sum of $6,000. He then attempted to deposit the check into his account at M&T bank. M&T did not honor the check, and mailed me a copy of both sides of it, showing the man's name and his signature. M&T included a one-page "return item notice" showing the check number 2254, $6,000 amount, and the brief comment " ITEM RETURNED - ALTERED FICTITIOUS." I contacted M&T bank asking for the original check, and was told M&T destroys all original checks. Is the xerox copy of this forgery showing his name and signature, along with the M&T "return item notice" sufficient evidence to prosecute the man ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Why not refer the matter to the police? They investigate these types of crimes every day and understand the rules of evidence and the quality of evidence that is needed.

The short answer is 'yes'. The police will take statements and affidavits from the bank employees, video surveillance, and can certainly charge the person that 'attempted' to pass the forged check. The prosecutor can easily present a case based on witness testimony, bank records, and other such evidence.

Bruce Alexander Minnick agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.