Chapin, SC asked in Divorce and Family Law for South Carolina

Q: I'm mentally ill and can't support myself financially but need to live separately to get a divorce, what do i do?

I'm a woman and i'm basically very anxious and struggle with borderline personality disorder, eating disorder, panic disorder. my mental and physical issues make it impossible for me to keep a normal job, i have no family here or friends so i have no place to stay but we both want to get divorced yet all we see is that we need to live separately for a year to be divorced. are there other ways? and do i have to live in the same state ? I'm also an immigrant and have lived in the states for over 5-6 years now, i have permanent resident card, i'm not a citizen

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ryan D Templeton
Ryan D Templeton
  • Summerville, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: In South Carolina in order to get a divorce you must allege a fault ground or a no fault ground. No Fault is living separate and apart for one year. Fault based grounds are adultery, physical abuse, habitual drunkenness or drug abuse, or abandonment. If none of the Fault based grounds apply to you, you must separate before you can file. I cant advise you with regards to the effect of divorce on your statue in this country.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.