Hickory, NC asked in Child Custody for North Carolina

Q: im 17 3 months away from 18 and want ti live with my dad because we have a good connection but my mom has custody of me

my dad and i have a good connection and I can't take the stress from my mom and step dad even though they help me a lot, I have wanted to be with my dad even though sometimes it's not the best place at times but thats where i want to be

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Adam Bull
Adam Bull
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Asheville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: at 17 you have the ability to have input on your custody, however no one can change the Court order but the Court unless the parents agree. Your father can file a motion to modify custody. To prevail he will need to show that there has been a substantial change of circumstances and that changing custody is in your best interest.

have you father contact an experienced family law attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.