Chicago, IL asked in Criminal Law for Ohio

Q: I'm 17 and live in Columbus ,Ohio.I got in a fight with a family friend and he physically abused me naked. What do I do?

I was in the shower playing music when I heard knocking and yelling on the door. So I got out of the shower and I opened the door I seen my cousin. I asked my cousin and she said (friend) knocked. I told him to wait and them slammed the room door, then returned to the bathroom(3 people were in the room including him). As soon as I closed the bathroom door, (another family friend), came and told me to not do that again. And started beating on me. I was completely naked and he started punching me all over until they got him off of me. We called the police and they didn't do anything but leave a card with my mom because they're aren't any marks on me. I was told not to talk because he(Jay) already has a child custody case and is battling immigrant stuff. He fled the scene. I dont know what to do and living here is not good for me. All I want is for him to pay for his consequences. There is more traumatizing things in the house but my age keeps me here. I need another home but I have no $

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dimitrios Makridis
Dimitrios Makridis
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Warren, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You can go to the intake office at 375 S. High St., 7th floor, Columbus, OH 43215 to file a complaint. An intake officer will interview you, collect all evidence necessary, and then a prosecutor will review the evidence and determine whether there is probable cause to file charges. Because you are still 17, I believe you will need a guardian with you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.