Athol, MA asked in Family Law and Child Support for Massachusetts

Q: What, if any, are the legal repercussions of a person rescinding on informal child support in Massachusetts?

After my ex and I split, we both agreed on an informal child support agreement. He'd continue giving me access to his vehicle and keep my phone on his cell phone plan. After a few personal disputes, he's threatening to take them back knowing it'll affect our kids, ie getting to drs appts and school. Every time we fight, he threatens to take them away or he snoops through my phone saying it's still his property. After repaying thousands of dollars in debts he accrued and after paying almost $5k on repairs to his vehicles, I'm afraid I'll be left with nothing and he threatens me if I mention formal child support. What should I do to protect my kid's best interests?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Scott F Bocchio
Scott F Bocchio
  • lawrence, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: It almost always protects the children more if there is a formal child support agreement in place with the Court as it can be enforceable through the Department of Revenue.

It can also be arranged by the Court to take child support straight from his paycheck. This helps in matters where the parties are at odds.

You should come in and get a formal child support calculation run on your two incomes and see what the weekly child support amount should be.

I encourage you to come in for a consultation and explore your options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.