Cranston, RI asked in Family Law for Rhode Island

Q: Can I stop this somehow or can he pay for this?

My ex boyfriend/daughter's father is trying to blackmail me with text messages by saying he will show them to my current boyfriend of almost 2 years just because he is unhappy with my relationship and wants to ruin it. Keep in mind my daughter and I live in my boyfriend's home so that will ruin our living situation leaving us with no place to live. My ex boyfriend also has a history of domestic violence.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: How much do you want him to pay or is he asking you to pay how much? What Blackmail? Is it worth it? Ask yourself how bad are these text messages? Are they old/new? How much have you told your new BF so that he will be supportive and protective. If there is a recent threat of harm from xBF/Daughter daddy get a restraining order. Contact the DV agency for support and assistance. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.